- Just over a month since last actual Shampooing.
- I am already past the greasy stage (I was a light shampooer before) but may still be transitioning.
- Water Only usually every 5-7 days.
- Soft Water.
- BBB, scritch and preen once daily (either before bath or bed).
- I sleep with it in a loose bun or braid.
- Long hair 22+inches
- Curly to wavy hair (naturally curly but once slept on or put up long enough turns to spiral curls/waves).
- ACV Only when hair is waxy (x1) or over product oopsie (x2).
- Products I have used/tried/currently have: Cocoa butter with Vitamin E, Nuxe dry oil (I have a sample may or may not be long term product) and olive oil brown sugar with peppermint oil and cinnamon scrub.
So I only heard of No Poo because I was at an impasse to ditch shampoo on my own. Since every time I shampooed with no matter how much product or styling my hair only looked decent basically a day or two before the next shampoo. So I decide how bad would it be to water wash only? And searched and found ‘no(t) (sham)poo(ing)’ was a thing XD
The grease stage was minimal and was over before I even knew it 2-3 weeks. Hair already 1/2 the frizz it use to be if not better, my hair feels a bit flattened (but before was like Magenta from the Rocky Horror Picture Show puffy if not tamed), it’s softer, more manageable but I am already missing how my hair was just before the end of the transition stage when my scalp was still producing a bit more sebum.
I think, now I am shampooless, I don’t actually have oily hair (not dry (no flakes/not itchy) maybe normal?). I even went once 8-9 days before washing (just to see if it get greasy and it didn’t). So trying to brush the oils down my hair doesn’t seem to be working. I use products mostly just for the ends cause I don’t want to over do it.
Roots are fine, tips are a bit damaged (yet manageable) but the top part of my hair just after my roots to about jaw length still a bit frizzy, flyway and puff, then rest of hair is soft and beautiful Mermaid like. Now considering my hair started at Sea Witch level - it’s improved tremendously! I assume the top part of my hair is the most damaged environmentally/most exposed type thing.
So figured had to do hair masks or oil treatments once a month. First was a cocoa butter with vitamin E mask but hair turned waxy - ACV fixed it though. Second, I just had a Olive Oil/brown sugar/peppermint oil/cinnamon scrub fail. Brown sugar/peppermint/cinnamon where fine got a good scrub in felt the blood flow with cooling sensation (best clean feeling I have had even when shampooing and hair smelt divine sugar/peppermint with a hint of cinnamon) but the olive oil…
I Water Only washed and did the ACV rinse just in case and I am still crazy oily (but not so much at the tips), so I tried ACV rinse again better - so I guess I am doing water only washes with ACV rinses till it’s sorted?
How to (for water only washers) wash out any oil/mask hair treatments?
How to lock in moisture with water only washing without buying a slew of products to trail and error it?
Or what are water only washer friendly ways to beat this last bit of frizz/puff?