2 Months of No Poo and itchy scalp

Hello,

I’ve been doing No Poo for roughly 2 months, I’ve been only using cold water (as i only shower using cold water) to clean my hair and I wash my hair either everyday day or every other day. With this I always end up getting an itchy scalp on the day I wash my hair, but only before bed. My scalp ends up being extremely itchy and flaky we can be very irritating as im trying to fall asleep, so I was wondering if I could get some help otherwise I’m thinking of quiting No Poo and going back to my old ways.

Thanks for any help!

Gabriel

Hi Gabriel, Don’t quit! A few times a week use very warm water on your hair and massage as if you’re using shampoo but only using water. This will help unclog your scalp and stop itching. When you do feel an itch massage rather than scratch. It will make the itch go away and not damage any hair folicles. Get a soft boar bristle brush and brush your hair often. It will destribute the sebum and feels so good on your scalp. It also helps unclog any issues and you shouldn’t have as much itching. The boar bristle brush you can get called “Egg” on Amazon very cheap. It’s a game changer! It also makes your hair really shiny. It was used in the old days to great success.

Thanks Kelly for the help, I do have one more question regarding brushes. I realised that each time I brush my hair my brush becomes white after brushing my hair. I’m assuming this is from dandruff or flaky scalp.
Would you have any idea or recommendations to fix this?

Thanks again for any help, Gabriel

1 Like

HELP, I have a similar issue as originally stated in first post. I have been using no shampoo for off and on for 3 years and more recently have been no shampoo at all for 3 -1/2 months. My scalp is so DRY it’s crazy! I am looking for help and ideas on what to do.

Here is my routine: I use warm water on my hair on Tuesday and Thursday and no water at all on the other days. Every other week on Saturdays I use the apple cider vinegar. Every Saturday, I use a eye dropper type thing and apply about 3-4 eye droppers full of oil on my scalp in different sections and brush it in with fingers and brush. I do have a boar brush and use that about every 2-3 days.

The oil is a mix of coconut oil, Castor oil, and essential oils like tea tree, lavender and cedarwood. I have purchased the no-poo literature and figured that oil combo was good for my hair type.

My week starts out ok every week but by Thursday Friday I start itching again pretty bad and my scalp just “rains” with dry skin/dandruff ( I have no idea if it’s dry or dandruff). this is pretty frustrating as many others on this site talk about “sebum” eventually coming through scalp and on to hair.

I swear I have no natural Sebum! None. My daughter, who has my wife’s hair type, definitely gets sebum when she doesn’t wash for a just 2 days! She even has to wash her hair because it gets so oily. I wish my did that but I could NOT wash for years and have no sebum at all. I think I eat really good and went gluten free 5 years ago for arthritis reasons.

Am I the rare one on the forum? Seems like everyone has a over oil problem. I have the opposite.

I am a male with thick hair and I’m 46. I have always struggled with dry scalp bad my whole life. I feel like my scalp just sucks the oils right up but after a few days it’s gone. Dandruff shampoo worked when I was younger and through college years but now I’m looking to fix this.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.