What to do about dry scalp during the winter?

Hi,

I have been using “no-poo” for over a year and love it. I actually never even knew about the baking soda/ apple cider vinegar technique until I came across this website today. I had always just used water only and had no issues (I’m a male with fairly short hair so that probably helps)

Anyway, for some reason this winter has left my scalp incredibly dry and flaky. When I pull my hair back, I can see that my scalp is almost white from dry skin and flakes.

Will apple cider alone help this, or do I need to use baking soda as well for it to work? I’ve been reading through the forums and it seems like everyone agrees that baking soda dries out your hair so I’m a little worried about using it since my scalp is too dry so I don’t want to dry it out any more.

Does anyone have any other remedies that might help?

Thanks!

The baking soda is to remove excess oil from your hair so you can skip that step and just use apple cider vinegar. I use apple cider vinegar every time I shower and oil masks every 8-12 days to help with my dry scalp in the winter. Mix 1 tbsp ACV with about 4-5 tbsp of water in a squirt bottle. I use restaurant style sauce bottles because the pointed tip helps get to the roots, craft stores have similar bottles. Shake well and evenly squirt mixture directly onto your scalp. Tip your head back so you don’t get it in your eye, it stings. Let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing. I’d try that for a week or two before trying the oil mask since you have short hair.
For the oil mask you can use the oil of your choice such as coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil, I make my own blend of coconut oil, olive oil, with a few drops of vitamin E, tea tree oil and almond oil or peppermint oil. Massage the oil or oil blend onto your scalp and let it sit for 30-60 minutes. Then you’ll need to wash your hair with baking soda to get the oil out of your hair. Since you have short hair I would suggest about half a tbsp of baking soda mixed with 4-5 tbsp of warm water. Also use a squirt bottle to evenly distribute the mixture onto your head. Scrub well to get ride of the oil in your hair and rinse. Baking soda can dry out your hair and scalp so you don’t need to let it sit, you just need enough to get the oil out of your hair but leave some oil on your scalp. Try less baking soda if necessary. Good luck!!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!