Transition Phase

I have been using baking soda and apple cider vinegar every 5 to 6 days for about 3 months now. However, my long, thick hair gets to be very greasy after about 2 to 3 days. I brush my hair with a boar bristle brush daily, but it seems to do very little. Is it possible no poo just doesn’t work for me, or am I doing something wrong?

Hi,

Firstly, are you putting ACV on your roots? It makes some people’s roots quite greasy, so you could try only putting your ACV-water “conditioner” on your ends and see if that helps. However, I wonder whether the baking soda isn’t stripping your natural oils too much and resulting in your scalp overproducing grease to compensate? I have fairly greasy (or so I thought), thinnish, fine and straight hair, and with baking soda washes my hair would get properly greasy the day after a wash. These days I wash with Rhassoul clay mixed with water only, and I can stretch it to a week. I just use a little jojoba oil to condition the ends if necessary. You might also want to research using a boar bristle brush to distribute oils - every no 'poo-er’s best friend - especially as your hair is long, i.e. the oil can’t easily get from your roots to the ends and needs a little help. Hope this is useful!