Tips for Oily Bangs?

Hi all! I am just a few days away from taking the no poo plunge, but I have a question about bangs. I’ve had them my entire life (and I plan to keep them - gigantic forehead :blush:). Does anyone have any experience with bangs looking oily during the transition? I know the rest of my hair will be, but bangs tend to be particularly noticeable. Any tips or tricks?

Thanks so much!

Hi! I’m pretty new to his movement to, and I have very straight, medium length hair that can be oily (especially with my bangs, which I love and am NOT growing out!) believe it or not I actually washed my hair everyday, which was creating a vicious cycle and really damaging my hair. I have the “wash and go” type hair, I just let it air dry and have taken heat to it maybe twice in my life, so I considered my hair pretty healthy. And I just didn’t feel clean without shampoo, and the idea of not washing my hair seemed impossible, but as I did research on how harmful the chemicals in shampoo are and the benefits from going wihout it, I got really interested and actually excited, and it has been really great and worth it so far. Here’s my advice for getting started.
But before I start, FIRST THINGS FIRST: BOAR BRISTLE BRUSH. This is vital. Cheap, and can be found at any grocery or drug store. Distributes oils from your scalp to the tips, leaving your tresses smooth and shiny.
Ok, so moving on. The baking soda/apple cider vinegar thing just didn’t work for me, tbh. I new I could not feel clean with just water. I was feeling frustrated and like I was just not cut out for this, UNTIL I made my own shampoo and conditioner!
It sounds hard but I promise it is not and is so worth it, because you can really taylor it to what your hair needs, and you know exactly what is in it!
For shampoo, I used Castile soap (you can find his at any grocery or drug store, it is all natural with very few ingredients, free of all chemicals and sulfates and has tons of different uses, very handy to have) and diluted it with filtered water (filled a recyclable squeeze bottle with about 2 cups water and 1 and 1/2 cup Castile). I then added a dash of witch hazel (optional, but it’s a great mild cleanser) and 15 or so drops of lavender oil, which is supposed to help with greasiness without stripping moisture, and smells great. And thats its!
since Castile soap is high in ph(like baking soda) it is important that you neutralize after with either citrus or apple cider vinegar.
My conditioner: 3 freshly squeezed lemons (this will also brighten and shine) coconut oil (mine was a cream kind not a liquid kind so the mixture was more creamy and thick, but if you prefer thinner mixture than go with the liquid) a dash of honey, and some tea tree oil. And that’s it! Doesn’t leave your hair with the super clean feeling of sulfate-filled shampoo, but that’s because it’s not stripping natural oils.
My bangs have been fine throughout this! However of course, my ultimate goal is to use water only so that my hair can truly be its natural self, oils can regulate and self-condition, I can reduce cost and waste and take quicker showers. But that is a journey for me, so for now on comfortable using my concoctions around every 3 days, and will continue to lengthen days between washing. I may also experiment with my ingredients and find what works best during my transition period, but eventually yes I hope to use none at all. But again I am new to this and have no idea how this will go, and can only be optimistic and determined after hearing some really positive stories and articles. I hope this helped:) feel free to experiment with different oils and whatnot if you are going to take the homemade-poo route, or of course try the baking soda and apple cider vinegar if that suits you. :slight_smile:
Ps a good tip for fixing oily bangs in a pinch without washing: pour with his hazel into a spray bottle and spiritz, or simply dab it on scalp and bangs with a cotton ball. This eliminates excess oil without the powdery buildup of dry shampoo, but is also soothing and gentle. A pinch of baking soda can also be used, but this will create buildup. If you don’t have any but your bangs feel really grimy, wring out a hot washcloth until damp and just lay it on top of your head, gently scrubbing your scalp and run it through your bags for a minute, then comb/brush. If worst comes to worst, you could always pin them to the side or wear a hat:)