Baking soda solution not solving

When I try solving baking soda (bicarbonate) in water, it doesn’t work. I use the exact measurments (1 part bicarbonate, 3 parts water) and sometimes more bicarbonate but it just won’t solve and form a paste. It’s just a little bit of wet powder in the bottom and lots of water over it.

Am I doing it wrong? Am I not using actual bicarbonate, even though the package says it is? Should I use actual baking soda (which to my knowledge is only bicarbonate mixed with a few other ingrediences) rather than pure bicarbonate?

I have been using baking soda (presently, Arm & Hammer) for over 4 years - Love It!! But I use a measuring spoon of 1/4 level teaspoon, (not tablespoon) mixed into a cup of water. I stir till dissolved and rinse with not more than a teaspoon of vinegar in a cup of water. I have long hair and it is the best I have ever had it with healthy scalp.The solution feels very smooth on my skin, no suds, no paste. Using too much baking soda will damage your hair.

So it’s supposed to have the same consistency as water?

Right before you pour the baking soda and water solution onto your hair, shake up the container or swirl it around so the baking soda is evenly dispersed into the water. It should look like cloudy water. It should not look like clear water over wet powder.

Over the years, I have found it necessary to use less and less baking soda to prevent over drying. Now I use 1/4 cup of baking soda in 1L of water. I dump the mixture evenly over my scalp and rub it in with my fingertips for 1 minute before rinsing thoroughly. If my hair feels a little oily while I’m rinsing, I repeat the washing. I’d much rather use less baking soda and wash my hair twice than deal with the problems that come with over-drying my hair and scalp.

Baking soda is bicarbonate with no other ingredients.

Best wishes,

PG.