Advice to a newbie please

Ok. I’m so up for this no poo thing! Problem is I’m in the “growing out” phase from a crazy hair chop and it’s currently not long enough to tie back! Will all be good if I attempt this now or should I wait until it’s good to tie back to assist in the transition? I currently shampoo no more regularly than twice a week and I have frizzy unruly thick hair. I’d really appreciate any advice and/or styling tips. TIA. Oh, as an aside, I’ve already stopped shampooing my 2 yr olds hair. Good or bad move?

Also, I use batiste dry shampoo Devine dark (especially to go out) as I’m starting to go grey and I find it covers up nicely. Any natural replacements I could try? I’ve read cocoa powder for dark hair and wondered if anyone had tried it?

I’d say go for it - the transition will help your hair be healthier as it grows. I started no poo while growing out and my hair grew healthy and shiny and helped to encourage me! Don’t be too concerned about the “greasy” transition - just use the baking soda wash more often to deal with it. You’ll most likely be able within a month to decrease to once a week. When I’m between washes I’ll rinse well, or simply use the ACV rinse or dry shampoo in a pinch like AmyR said. Good move on the using no poo on your 2 yr old - imagine how healthy his/her hair to be!

During the transition, I found wide headbands to be a good thing! Hope I’m not breaking any rules here, but check out the “Enso headbands” from Kooshoo :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. Stop using tons of soap on your other body parts besides head. Like use less in your laundry, in your dish soap, use less body wash, even less after you use the toilet (just a dab of it will kill the germs). This will make your body hurry up and adjust its oil level so you’re not so oily!

2. Use water, vinegar, and scrubbing motion to remove the shampoo residue that is already in your hair. See, the residue actually attracts dirt out of the air and makes your hair look nasty. So shampoo residue is the enemy and you need to get it out.

3. Never put baking soda in your hair. It is basic and your scalp likes to be acidic.